Monday, January 31, 2011

No Strings Attached

It's a phrase many of us have heard as we grow and try new relationships, and now, it's become a blockbuster hit starring Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman. Before I go on, let me say that I loved the movie for many different reasons. It was witty, smart, edgy and fun. It's a love story and one that I thought could have been mine several years ago.

In high school, I was sure that one of my guy friends, a best friend really, would be the one. I was sure that somehow I could win him over. He was cute, funny and new me better then most people. Not only did he open up with me and allow himself to be vulnerable with me but he let me in to his life. His mom and dad and little brothers are now apart of my life. They are my second family.

I thought that if I could become a part of his life that he would want me. I was willing to do just about anything for this boy. I even thought that having a relationship with no strings attached would work. I would win him over with my charm and the intimacy. It would make him realize who I am and how lucky he could be.

Without giving too much away about the movie, let me just say that NSA rarely works. It could work for a while, maybe could even be ideal for some people who live hectic lives, but for people looking for passion, commitment and love, it's a big no no! I think the biggest lesson I learned from him and from growing up, is that for both girls and guys, having sex can be one thing, but to use it as a means to make someone like you or thinking it will better yourself is silly.

Sex makes things complicated. It is important in any relationship. Chemistry needs to exist so that the spark never dies, but it isn't everything. Communication, trust and honesty are just as important. And by the way, yes this blog is meant for me to fully self express my thoughts, but I also hope to inspire you to learn and view things in a different light.

Moving forward...

Go figure that...
five years later I am in a a beautiful relationship, it's with a girl and I couldn't be happier. In a fantasy world, having a carefree and burden-free relationship could sound like fun, but lacks so much.

Not only have I grown up from who I was when I was 14, 15 and 16, but that boy has become so much more to me. He is my best friend. Although my heart was broken throughout high school with relation to him, he really did me a huge favor. He has given me the realization that I am worth being loved.

You know who you are. I hope when you read this that you not only hear my acknowledgment but also realize that because of you and because of our past, you have given me a gift. I wish for you the happiest life full of love, laughter and dreams fulfilled. You are a great man. I have loved the last eight years of our friendship and I am looking forward to the next 80 years together. I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment