Thursday, January 20, 2011

Teachers, Mentors, Friends

What matters?

We think of life as being this long road or journey. The truth of the matter is, life is pretty short for us. We live to be 60...70...80...90...and for some, more than 100. But in relation to how long human kind has been in existence, our life span is very short.

How do you make your life count? How do you choose which path to go down? What legacy are you going to leave behind?

For me, a big part of who I am is those who have helped me along my way. Although my family means everything to me and everyone in my family has been my biggest support, this post goes out to some memorable, mentionable and extraordinary human beings.

1. Dr. Richard Follett
My English professor for two semesters and confidant. He is both remarkable and kind, bright and wise, charming and brilliant.  My life has changed since I have met him. I write because of him. I want my Ph.D. in education so I can teach and share the knowledge I have gained with the hopes of inspiring at least one other person.

2. Professor Stefanie Frith
It's not every day that you find yourself in a classroom with a teacher so excited to be there that they want their students to visit. Yes, visit. Stefanie is the type of professor who encourages her students to stop by her office just to talk. She is interested. With a young teacher who is motivated and always has a spring in her step, it's hard not to want to succeed.

3. Michal Marks
Since I was 12 years old, Michal has been in my life. Truth, honesty, charisma and intelligence are only a few of the many words that come to mind when I think of her. She pushes her students and friends to raise the bar, shoot for the moon and has no doubt in her mind that any of her pupils will fall short of their dreams.

Teachers are underrated, underpaid and overlooked. Make every day count and never be afraid or modest to use the words love and thanks. Saying I love you and thank you are never overrated.

Who are you grateful for? Who inspires you?


NEW UPDATE: An acronym...
A

T thoughtful, teaches, tough love
E energizing, eager, excellent
A amazing, artists, actors on stage
C charming, cheerful, chatty
H humble, happy, honest
E empathetic, eager, evolved
R radiant, radical, resilient 


A


F fabulous, fearless, forward
R rambunctious, relentless, ready
I intriguing, intricate, intelligent
E ecstatic, elated, enchanting
N nice, nurturing, noble
D divine, delightful, daring

No comments:

Post a Comment