Saturday, December 25, 2010

Home At Last

Get ready everybody-- this is going to be a long-ish blog.

It's crazy to think that I am coming up on being home (in California) for two years now. I landed at LAX on December 26, 2008. I remember feeling so happy to be in a familiar place and yet, at the same time, I began to have that uh-oh feeling in my tummy. Who am I going to be friends with? What friends from high school are still in town? Did I make the right choice?

The day after I landed I registered for classes at a local community college where my best friend, Anna, from high school was going. Thank goodness! I had at least one person in my life where I knew I wouldn't have to be alone. Now, before you start to think that of me as that girl who is clingy or needy, let me explain...

I have always been a social butterfly. In fact, I was the person in school who had friends in every clique and got along great with everyone. I was loud and fun, perky and silly, and grounded and friendly. But something changed when Year Course ended. I had been waiting my whole life for that year to come and it was over so fast. I lived in a beautiful country where I was making a difference and having the time of my life with my best friends. Subconsciously, I made a choice that no other experience in college would compare. Thus, my attitude and confidence changed.

Anyways, like I was saying, thank goodness for Anna. She began to bring me back to life. We went out and danced, had regular sushi dates and put back the pieces of our friendship since I had been gone. So many things had changed over the year and half we were apart, but we got right back on track immediately.

Now, one of our hot spots for a night out was at the Canyon Club. It's a rather large venue located in Agoura Hills that caters to every age group: Bar Mitzavah parties, 80s night and a cover band for every type of music. Hopefully you can guess that Anna and I hit up the 80s night every Thursday. It's a 21 and up event but we had connections.  Remember I told you I had two friends that kept me strong when I was at McDaniel? Well, one of them worked there. She also is one of my best friends from high school.  

This charade went on for nearly three months;  dancing on the stage, a Sex on the Beach in our hands and endless flirting. Spring Break came so fast. A good friend of mine came into town to visit for break.  During the week it was Talya, Brit and me spending our time shopping, dancing and eating at yummy restaurants.

Well, one day it was just Talya and me. Brit had a busy day and wasn't able to join us. The second Talya was in my car and we began to drive, the first thing she said to me was, "Syd? Are you and Brit hooking up?"

I KNOW! What a shock! I didn't know what to say. We weren't hooking up and I had only ever been with guys before, but for some reason, I started to blush. Turns out that I had been crushing on her for a while.

Come April 4, 2009 I had my first kiss with Brit. It was such an incredible night. It was everything I had wanted. I had never felt so comfortable with someone before. It felt right. A week later she asked me to be her girlfriend. We have been dating ever since.

*SIDE NOTE: Prior to the two of us hooking up, Brit had made a bet with some friends. The bet was that Brit had to go two months without drinking or touching a girl (holding hands is okay-- but that's it! Literally!). Clearly this was silly. What good would that do her? So we all called her two months of good behavior, 60 Days of Bullshit. Anyway, long story short, Brit broke her 60 day mark one week early with me!

More to come later about the scholastic part of my life. For now you are all caught up with my love life, which is relatively important considering that is where half of my venting will come from.

Merry Christmas! By the way, I am Jewish but I love this time of year and the merriment of it all. Today it's Chinese food and movies with my friends!

Hot Tub Time MachineThe Incredibles (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)How the Grinch Stole Christmas



Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment