Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Back to School

A new semester means a new start. No "F" has been given out yet, no big tests to stress about, and new people to meet. This semester though, feels different than all the rest. Why? I know that I wont be at my community college anymore. Don't get me wrong, Pierce College has provided me with such incredible opportunities and has given me some of the most special and memorable professors. But, it's time for a change. It's time for me to go to "big kid" school...
It's time for CSUN. Not to mention I have been waiting one full year to get accepted.

With budget cuts running rampant through the California universities, I have been denied twice. Budget cuts caused CSUN to close the option of spring transfers (and has been lifted in recent months). Thus, this pushed my acceptance to fall 2011. Knowing what I know now however, I am happy with the way things worked out.

Being at Pierce, I was able to join the media arts department and was given a voice. I joined the Roundup, the student-run newspaper, as a reporter, Features Editor and currently, Managing Editor. I was able to form friendships with my advisors and several other professors who saw me as more than just a name in a roll book. I was a student with a bright future. Because of them, I get to live powerfully into my future.

...Not to mention (and to brag) I have been awarded three 1st place awards, two 2nd place awards and an honorable mention through the journalism department for my writing. It's exciting and causes me to want to do more and to do better! That's good! Very good! That is what education should be like for students everywhere.

So here is to another semester. A semester full of success and happy memories. To my last few months as a student of Pierce College. Ready, set, go!


1 comment: